5S Method explains *how a work space should be organized* for *efficiency* and *effectiveness* by *identifying and storing* the items used, *maintaining the area and items*, and *sustaining the new order*.
- Make work easier by eliminating obstacles and evaluate necessary items with regard to cost or other factors.
- Reduce chances of being disturbed with unnecessary items.
- Prevent accumulation of unnecessary items.
- Set In Order (Seiton)
- Arrange all necessary items into their most efficient and accessible arrangements so that they can be easily selected for use and make workflow smooth and easy.
- Ensure first-in-first-out FIFO basis, so that it is easy to find and pick up necessary items.
- Place components according to their uses, with the frequently used components being neared to the work.
- Shine (Seiso)
- Clean your workplace on daily basis completely or set cleaning frequency.
- Keep workplace safe, easy to work, clean and pleasing to work in.
- In an unfamiliar environment, people must be able to detect any problems within 50 feet.
- Standardize (Seiketsu)
- Standardize the best practices in the work area.
- Maintain high standards, orderliness, everything in order and according to its standard.
- Every process has a standard.
- Sustain (Shitsuke)
- Not harmful to anyone, training and discipline, to maintain proper order.
- Also translates as “do without being told”.
- Training is goal-oriented process. Its resulting feedback is necessary monthly.
Professionals firm (CA/CS/CMA Firms, Law Firms, Architects etc.) having huge amounts of paperwork and this not only makes processes slower but also allows errors to be introduced. 5S is a method of both cleaning out of working area and maintaining the cleanliness to improve process quality.